Hero vets remove ten wasp stings from cute dog after pet suffers anaphylactic shock

Table of Contents Read MoreRelated Articles A Scots dog has been saved by hero vets…

Table of Contents

A Scots dog has been saved by hero vets after being stung by a swarm of wasps and going into shock while out on a walk.

Baxter was with his owner at Gleniffer Braes in Paisley when the insects set upon the animal on Sunday morning.

Little Baxter was thrown into a life-threatening anaphylactic shock while his owner raced him to the Abbey Veterinary Group Paisley and Greenock.




The emergency team at the vets then took 10 stings out of the pooch and treated him for the reaction.

Sharing a heartwarming picture on Facebook, the team at the vets said the pair were ‘very grateful’ for the quick reactions of the medics.

A post read: “A very grateful Baxter and his owner after the emergency team removed 10 wasp stings and treated him for an anaphylactic reaction.

“Baxter and his owner were at the Gleniffer Braes enjoying a Sunday morning walk when they were attacked by a swarm of wasps.”

Locals were full of praise for the hero vets.

Elaine McCafferty wrote: “Thank you for looking after my furry nephew Baxter and my big bro.”

Did you know you can keep up to date with the latest news by signing up to our daily newsletter?

We send a morning and lunchtime newsletter covering the latest headlines every day.

We also send coronavirus updates at 5pm on weekdays, and a round up of the week’s must-read stories on Sunday afternoons.

Signing up is simple, easy and free.

You can pop your email address into the sign up box above, hit Subscribe and we’ll do the rest.

Alternatively, you can sign up and check out the rest of our newsletters here.

Anne-Marie Livingston wrote: “Poor fur baby, so glad he’s on the mend. Couldn’t have been in better hands than the Abbey Veterinary Group Paisley & Greenock they are true legends.”

And Diane Matheson wrote: “Poor Baxter. He is so good natured just like his owner. Hope you both recover well from this terrible ordeal. Love and hugs to you both.”

The Blue Cross animal charity has issued advice on what to do if your dog is stung by a wasp.

Bosses at the charity advise to remain calm and scrape out the sting using a credit card (or any other stiff material) or pull it out below the poison sac, then bathe the area in water.

Don’t squeeze the sting as this could force more of the poison into your dog’s body. Applying ice will help to soothe the sting.

A statement adds that multiple stings can be deadly.

It reads: “Multiple stings to your dog can be fatal and some dogs might have an allergic reaction. Stings in your dog’s mouth can also be dangerous as the swelling can block their airway and stop them from breathing.

“Contact your vet immediately if you’re worried your dog has been stung and it could be dangerous.”